Staten Island Divorce Lawyer
New York Marital Property Attorney
Helping You Reach a Divorce Settlement on Staten Island
Getting divorced in New York doesn’t have to be a prolonged and emotionally draining experience. Our goal as your law firm is to help you complete your divorce as quickly as possible, while protecting your rights and helping you prepare for the future. Our law office is conveniently located in Dongan Hills, Staten Island, New York.
On October 14, 2010, New York state passed no-fault divorce, ending the requirements that couples had to prove fault in order to end their marriage. But while it is now possible to get a no-fault divorce in New York, it is not as easy as one may think. It is still necessary to resolve complex issues such as child custody and property division, and make tough decisions about who will live in the marital home, for example.
Divorce may be considered an ending, but it is also a beginning – the beginning of your new life as a divorced person. During the process of your divorce, your attorney should assist you in putting together a plan for your life.
These are the questions you should ask yourself during the divorce process:
1) Have you put together a budget? Do you know what your expenses are?
2) Do you have a financial plan in place?
3) Do you have a plan regarding how to pay off debt?
4) Do you have a plan for retirement?
5) If you are receiving retirement benefits from a spouse, do you know what to do legally to obtain them? How to invest these assets?
6) Do you know how you will file your taxes after the divorce?
7) What medical insurance will you have?
8) Does your spouse have life insurance to secure child support or pension benefits?
9) What kind of parenting agreement is in place? Are there provisions for when the children get older? Are holidays, vacation and/or relocation issues addressed?
It is crucial to ask these important questions and to have professionals in place to give you the benefit of their expertise on these issues.
Contested and Uncontested Divorce
A number of the divorce cases we handle are uncontested. One of the reasons for this is that we don’t litigate for the sake of litigation. Our excellent prep work, experience, and solid negotiation skills can help you reach a settlement without ever setting foot in court.
As your Staten Island divorce law firm, we will help you seek an out-of-court settlement on all issues such as:
However, if your soon-to-be ex is unwilling to be reasonable, I have more than 25 years of experience defending my clients’ interests in court. We can provide aggressive representation if called for.
To schedule an attorney consultation to discuss your dissolution of marriage case: Call 718-213-4746 or fill out the contact form on this website.
The DePalo Law Firm has been accepted as a Participating Law Firm for Hyatt Legal Services, ARAG, Workplace Benefits, and the Legal Club of America.